Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Goin' Through the Motions

Have you ever noticed how your body has its own alarm clock? Like during the school year, I'm used to waking up around 6 every morning, so the first couple weeks of summer, I'd continue to wake up around that time. It sucked.

Well I got that at camp, too. Luckily, my body didn't catch on to the whole waking up at 6:30 every morning, but I did get used to being fed 5 times a day and taking an hour and a half nap every afternoon. That causes a couple of problems, though... A) We don't have enough food in our house to feed me 5 times a day and B) Waking up at 11 makes it hard to fit in a 90 minute nap unless you stay up til about 2 in the morning...

Anyways, I feel like we get stuck in these ruts in our spiritual lives sometimes. We get stuck in our routines and just spin our tires being content with where we are at.

In my first post, I mentioned how I would receive a daily Bible verse on my phone. I would read it, but I wouldn't soak anything in.  Sometimes I catch myself slipping into that same thing as I'm reading my Bible. I'll catch myself thinking about the TV show that I'm missing or what I'm going to wear the next day.  I just go through the motions. I sit down at the end of each day, open my Bible, and a lot of times, that's where I lose my focus.

I catch myself most of the time, but it's still frustrating.

This post makes me think of the Matthew West song, "The Motions".

"I don't wanna go through the motions
I don't wanna go one more day
Love this! So true!!
without Your all consuming passion inside of me              
I don't wanna spend my whole life asking,
'What if I had given everything,
instead of going through the motions?'"

I want to stay focused on God. He deserves that time from me; that uninterrupted time. There's 24 hours in a day. I know, there are a ton of things that HAVE to get done, but... God created me! Without Him, I am nothing. Can I not spare a 15 minutes of my my day? I think I can.

 "No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money." -Matthew 6:24

Essentially, I am trying to serve two masters when I'm more focused on worldly things rather than on God. Judging by the past, that won't work out too well.

I am going to consciously try to focus more on God and give Him all the attention He deserves. I pray that while I do this, I focus solely on Him.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Great thoughts! Going through the motions does truly kill emotions...Right on!

Anonymous said...

Thank you. Glad you like it.
Your blog is very interesting, I like to tell you if we follow.

Take care.

People who have nothing better to do in life